Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Mary, Bloody Mary

SummaryThe story of Mary Tudor s childhood is a classic fairy tale: A princess who is to inherit the throne of England is separated from her mother; abused by an evil stepmother who has enchanted her father; stripped of her title; and forced to care for her baby stepsister, who inherits Mary s rights to the throne. Believe it or not, it s all true. Told in the voice of the young Mary, this novel explores the history and intrigue of the dramatic rule of Henry VIII, his outrageous affair with and marraige to the bewitching Anne Boleyn, and the consequences of that relationship for his firstborn daughter. Carolyn Meyer has written a compassionate historical novel about love and loss, jealousy and fear—and a girl s struggle with forces far beyond her control.


About
Author: Carolyn Meyer
Pages: 227
Published: 1999


Review:
My first read on the infamous Bloody Mary! The first time I picked this book up was in the fifth grade, way before the beginning of my obsession with Tudor England. I didn't know about bear fights, so when I opened this book up I was so horrified that I put it right back! And then after I read Doomed Queen Anne, I returned to this book out of curiosity, and did find it quite enjoyable.


It was basically a retelling of Anne Boleyn's story, except from the perspective of Princess Mary Tudor. It surprised me, really, how just by changing the point of view in the story, everything changed.When I read Anne's tale, I didn't think much about the poor Mary; I was too much a fan of Anne. This book didn't change my steadfast love for Anne at all, but it did give me much sympathy to the younger Mary, and definitely put some humanity in Mary I, now known as the monster Bloody Mary. I now understand why she could never forgive Anne; if I were in her position, I know I would feel same.


This was definitely a good, historically accurate novel for not just young adults, but anyone curious about the real Mary I, in her younger years. 


Rating:
5 stars/5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment